- Actually call and talk to someone in the organization (puts you ahead of 90% of applicants)
- Dig for possible contacts you have that might make an introduction for you
- Send in your resume, or apply on-line and wait for a call
- Use self-descriptives in your resume (i.e. hard working, dynamic, articulate)
- Use colored, scented, or oddly shaped paper, or artistic fonts for your resume (except for artistic positions)
- Send your resume by singing telegram
- Do anything involving sky-writers, billboards, or animals
- ‘Wing It’ in calls, interviews, and follow ups
- Be cute or comical to get attention (and don’t tell jokes)
- Rely only on the HR person to handle your exposure in the organization
- Call anyone without an agenda
- Be arrogant or cocky about your experience (“I’m a perfect fit”)
- Be pushy, or a ‘Stalker’
Most people don’t go beyond submitting a resume online or by mail. By taking further steps than most people you will stand out and have far greater success!
Thank you for visiting The Wise Job Search. I truly appreciate your interest. If you like the material here and would like to help keep it viable, please peruse and visit book recommendations, and other resources posted throughout the site. Best wishes on your continued search, and feedback is always welcome!